Related Resources: Analyte Quarterly
|Technical Tips Article|
|Discover How Multiplex Assays are Advancing Biomedical Research:
Top Tips to Optimize Your Analyses
||Sonali Nayak, Ph.D., Interviewed by Select Science
Read Tech Tips
New to Multiplexing Using the Luminex Platform? Here’s How Trusted xMAP Technology Brings Your Biomarkers to Life.
Luminex technology, the trusted, widely used platform for biomarker screening and protein analysis, consists of bead-based immunoassays, detection instruments (including compact multiplexing instruments), and software. As a Luminex® partner, we are a preferred distributor of Luminex® instruments, accessories and software. Our ongoing dedication and industry-leading experience with multiplex technology enable you to gain more information faster and reliably.
Advantages of Luminex xMAP® Technology Compared to Other Immunoassay Methods:
How Luminex xMAP® Technology Works
The Luminex® system is the combination of four core technologies:
- xMAP® magnetic bead microspheres are a family of 80 fluorescently dyed 6.45 μm magnetic microspheres that act as both the identifier and the solid surface to build the assay.
- Traditional agarose microspheres are a family of 500 fluorescently dyed 5.6 μm polystyrene microspheres that act as both the identifier and the solid surface to build the assay.
- MILLIPLEX® multiplex assays consist of analyte-specific capture antibodies conjugated to xMAP® beads, enabling multivariate analysis of complex biological states, including metabolic disease, immunology, neurodegenerative disease, toxicity, cancer and more, using minimal sample volumes. MILLIPLEX® assays are analytically validated for sensitivity, specificity, reproducibility and wide dynamic range.
- Luminex 200™ and FLEXMAP 3D® systems: flow cytometry-based instruments that integrate key xMAP® detection components, such as lasers, optics, advanced fluidics and high-speed digital signal processors.
- MAGPIX® system: a CCD-based, compact multiplexing instrument that integrates key xMAP® capture and detection components with the speed and efficiency enabled by magnetic beads.
Luminex multiplexing technology consists of xMAP bead-based immunoassays that can be analyzed using two types of instruments: flow cytometry-based analyzers (left schematic) and LED-based analyzer (right schematic). LED-based detection is used in compact multiplexing instruments like the MAGPIX® system.
- XPONENT® software package for data acquisition.
- MILLIPLEX® Analyst 5.1 software package for sophisticated data analysis.