|Milli-Q ® IQ Element Brochure|
|Optimal Water Quality for Trace Elemental Analysis|
|Milli-Q IQ Element Datasheet|
Ultrapure water suitable for the most stringent trace elemental analyses
Technological advances in sensitive analytical techniques, such as inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS), graphite-furnace atomic absorption spectroscopy (GF-AAS) and trace ion chromatography (IC), allow us to detect and measure elements at ppt and sub-ppt levels. These trace and ultra-trace detection levels are key for sensitive applications in such diverse fields as environmental testing, pharmaceutical analyses, forensic science, and the food and beverage industry.
Low detection levels mean that special care must be taken to avoid trace contamination, which can impact experimental results. Contaminants may arise from the reagents, instrumentation, operators, lab environment and any sample containers used.
This is equally true for ultrapure water used in the analytical process. Due to the dissolution and dilution processes required in sample preparation, high-purity water typically constitutes over 90% of a sample analyzed by these sensitive techniques. High-purity water is also used for cleaning sample containers, washing plastics, and preparing blanks and standard solutions.
Milli-Q® IQ Element: Analytical-grade water for single-ppt and sub-ppt detection levels
Laboratories performing trace analyses need a reliable source of ultrapure water with consistently low elemental concentrations. When combined with a Milli-Q® IQ 7000 or Milli-Q® IQ 7003/05/10/15 water purification system, the Milli-Q® IQ Element purification and dispensing unit delivers analytical-grade ultrapure water that is suitable for trace and ultra-trace elemental analyses, including ICP-MS, GF-AAS and trace IC.
The Milli-Q® IQ Element unit dispenses water at your point of use, which is confirmed to contain extremely low levels of elemental contaminants, from single-ppt to sub-ppt. Independent laboratories specialized in ultra-trace elemental analyses have verified the unit’s water quality (see the Performance Report in the Specifications tab).
Seamless, contaminant-free integration into your cleanroom environment
The compact Milli-Q® IQ Element unit is designed to be easily integrated into your laboratory space and installed inline of a Milli-Q® IQ 7 series water purification system. Its compact dispensing unit can be placed directly at your point of use, in your cleanroom environment or laminar flow hood, with no risk of contamination.
1. Milli-Q® IQ 7003/05/10/15 water purification system purifies tap water to pure (Type 2) and ultrapure (Type 1) water. Flexible installation options give the best fit for any lab’s space, and patented purification technologies ensure consistently high-quality purified water.
2. Milli-Q® IQ 7003/05/10/15 storage tank safeguards water purity better than ever. The vent filter protects water from airborne contaminants and mercury-free UV lamps prevent bacterial growth and biofilm build up.
3. E-POD® dispenser gives convenient access to pure water at a high flow rate (up to 2 L/min) for general lab applications. Save time with walk-away filling and an intuitive touchscreen interface.
4. Q-POD® dispenser delivers ultrapure water for critical applications such as HPLC, UHPLC or cell culture. A range of Application-Paks match water quality to your specific application needs.
5. Milli-Q® IQ Element purification unit removes trace ionic contaminants. The touchscreen allows water quality monitoring at-a-glance, rapid data management, and intuitive control.
6. Footswitch allows hands-free dispensing at your point of use. There’s no need to touch the unit while working.
7. Milli-Q® IQ Element dispensing unit can be placed directly at your point of use, in your cleanroom environment or laminar flow hood, with no risk of contamination.
Milli-Q® IQ Element Performance Report
In order to verify the quality of water provided by the Milli-Q® IQ Element unit, analytical tests were performed in independent laboratories, specialized in ultra-trace elemental analyzes. The below table is an excerpt from ICP-MS analyses with high purity water obtained from a Milli-Q® IQ Element purification unit connected to a Milli-Q® IQ 7005 water purification system. Additional results and detailed experimental methods are available in the Milli-Q® IQ Element Data Sheet.
The tests verify that coupling a Milli-Q® IQ Element unit to a Milli-Q® IQ 7 series water purification system delivering ultrapure water produces ultrapure water suitable for trace and ultra-trace elemental analyses, including ICP-MS or GF-AAS.
|Isotope||Element||Sample (ng/L)||DL (ng/L)|
|7||Lithium (Li)1||< DL||0.04|
|9||Beryllium (Be)2||< DL||0.2|
|11||Boron (B)2||< DL||0.5|
|40||Calcium (Ca)2||< DL||0.29|
|56||Iron (Fe)1||< DL||0.5|
|59||Cobalt (Co)1||< DL||0.01|
|60||Nickel (Ni)1||< DL||0.16|
|63||Copper (Cu)1||< DL||0.04|
|66||Zinc (Zn)1||< DL||0.48|
|70||Germanium (Ge)2||< DL||0.1|
|71||Gallium (Ga)2||< DL||0.13|
|78||Selenium (Se)2||< DL||0.57|
|85||Rubidium (Rb)1||< DL||0.03|
|88||Strontium (Sr)2||< DL||0.02|
|89||Yttrium (Y)2||< DL||0.02|
|90||Zirconium (Zr)2||< DL||0.05|
|93||Niobium (Nb)2||< DL||0.03|
|95||Molybdenium (Mo)1||< DL||0.1|
|103||Rhodium (Rh)2||< DL||0.01|
|105||Palladium (Pd)2||< DL||0.34|
|111||Cadmium (Cd)1||< DL||0.08|
|115||Indium (In)2||< DL||0.01|
|118||Tin (Sn)2||< DL||0.15|
|121||Antimony (Sb)1||< DL||0.02|
|138||Barium (Ba)1||< DL||0.05|
|139||Lanthanium (La)2||< DL||0.02|
|140||Cerium (Ce)2||< DL||0.03|
|141||Praseodymium (Pr)2||< DL||0.02|
|146||Neodenyum (Nd)2||< DL||0.08|
|147||Samarium (Sm)2||< DL||0.13|
|153||Europium (Eu)2||< DL||0.04|
|157||Gadolinium (Gd)2||< DL||0.13|
|159||Terbium (Tb)2||< DL||0.02|
|163||Dysprosium (Dy)2||< DL||0.07|
|165||Holmium (Ho)2||< DL||0.02|
|166||Erbium (Er)2||< DL||0.11|
|169||Thulium (Tm)2||< DL||0.03|
|172||Ytterbium (Yb)2||< DL||0.09|
|175||Lutetium (Lu)2||< DL||0.02|
|178||Hafnium (Hf)2||< DL||0.11|
|181||Tantalum (Ta)2||< DL||0.03|
|182||Tungsten (W)1||< DL||0.07|
|185||Rhenium (Re)2||< DL||0.09|
|189||Osmium (Os)2||< DL||0.14|
|193||Iridium (Ir)2||< DL||0.05|
|197||Gold (Au)2||< DL||0.43|
|205||Thallium (Tl)2||< DL||0.05|
|208||Lead (Pb)1||< DL||0.08|
|209||Bismuth (Bi)2||< DL||0.06|
|232||Thorium (Th)2||< DL||0.04|
|238||Uranium (U)2||< DL||0.04|
DL: Detection limit
1. Data obtained courtesy of Agilent Technologies, Tokyo, Japan. © Agilent Technologies, Inc. Reproduced with Permission, Courtesy of Agilent Technologies, Inc.
2. Data obtained courtesy of UT2A, Pau, France.
* Si is known to be difficult to measure by ICP-MS. When measured by GF-AAS, concentration was < DL (0.5 ppb).