Readycult® Coliforms 100
The EPA approved Readycult® method allows you to use the indole test for immediate E. coli confirmation.
Merck Millipore received the final rule from the US EPA, Federal Register Vol. 67, No. 209, Tuesday, October 29, 2002, Rules and Regulations. Readycult® Coliforms 100 is now an approved method for Presence/Absence determination of total coliforms and E. coli in water.
What is Readycult?
Readycult is a rapid Presence/Absence test for the simultaneous detection of total coliforms and E. coli in drinking water. Readycult is supplied as a premeasured, single use, sterilized packet of media.
If coliforms are present in the water sample, their β-galactosidase enzymes cleave the colorless X-GAL so that the culture medium changes color from yellow to blue-green. If E. coli are present among the coliforms, the β-glucuronidase enzymes cleave the MUG to produce a blue fluorescence under UV-light (366nm).
This MUG reaction is not totally specific for E. coli. A few other species of bacteria can also cleave MUG (mug positive) and certain strains of E. coli are known to be MUG-negative. A biochemical confirmation of E. coli can be performed directly in the sample by adding KOVAC's indole reagent. The reagent immediately reacts with any indole that is present in the medium to produce a red ring. This provides a 99% confirmation of E. coli and eliminates the need for additional 24-48 hour confirmation steps.
|101298||Readycult® Coliforms 100|
|113203||UV lamp 366 nm|
Approvals / References
- USEPA: 40 CFR Part 141 (Sec.141.21) Federal Register / Vol. 67, No. 209, Tuesday, October 29, 2002 / Rules and Regulations
- Microbiology Manual for the Meat Industry, 3rd Edition April 2000, New Zealand, Chapter 11 Testing Potable Waters for Indicator Bacteria, A1.1 Chromogenic Substrate Methods for Total Coliforms and E.coli
- Ministry of Health, New Zealand, Drinking Water Standard for New Zealand 2000 (DWSNZ:2000), Enzyme Substrate Coliform Test
- Ministry of Health, Colombia, Potable Water Quality Regulations, National Standard 475, 2001, Defined Substrate Technology for Total Coliforms and E.coli
- Manafi, M., Rosman;Evaluation of Readycult® Presence/Absence Test for the Detection of Total Coliforms and E.coli in Water. 98th American Society of Microbiology, Atlanta, 17-21st May 1998
- Lee,J.V., Lightfoot, N.F., Tillet, H.E.; An evaluation of presence/absence tests for coliforms and Escherichia coli. International Conference on Coliforms and E.coli: Problem or solution?